Tabor Guest Blogger: Gerald Thompson, Wood Chemist, Bona
Hardwood floors are one of the largest investments in your home. Protect them by routinely cleaning to avoid dirt and in turn scratches and a dull finish. Using products that are safe for your floors, family and the environment will ensure beautiful hardwood floors that will last a lifetime.
- Avoid using water and vinegar, soap-based cleaners, wax or steam cleaners on your hardwood floors. Vinegar and water will actually dull the floor’s finish over time, while soap or wax will leave a residue. Steam cleaners put heat and excessive water on your floor, which can lead to cupping and long-term damage.
- Use the proper tools to clean your floor – a mop paired with machine washable, microfiber pads for dusting and cleaning.
- Frequently dry dust your hardwood floors with a microfiber dusting pad. The electrostatic action will attract dirt, which is the main cause of scratches, microparticles and common household allergens.
- Wipe up all spills immediately to avoid permanent stains.
- Keep pet nails trimmed.
- Keep your home at normal living conditions for your area – no extremes of humidity or temperature.
- Use natural rubber rug underlayments with a waffle pattern in the entry ways or high traffic areas, use felt floor protectors on furniture, and avoid high heels.
- Depending on the amount of traffic in the home, we recommend polishing the floors every two to three months with our Bona Hardwood Floor Polish and sanding and refinishing approximately every three to five years.