Choosing a remodeling contractor in Maryland is the most important decision you’ll make when planning your project. Here are some guidelines for selecting a reputable Maryland home remodeling company.
1. In Maryland, a home improvement contractor doing work on your home must be licensed and in good standing with the Maryland Home Improvement Commission. You can review a company’s license status and past history by going to the Maryland Home Improvement Contractor Commission website at http://www.dllr.state.md.us/pq/. In the District of Columbia, people must be licensed and in good standing with the DC Home Improvement Commission. Avoid hiring a contractor with marks against their license.
2. Ask for references that include past and current clients, particularly those with home renovation projects similar in scope and size to your project.
3. Make sure the contractor is fully insured with liability insurance, which covers property damage, and workers’ compensation insurance, which covers personal injuries on the job site. Don’t risk hiring an uninsured contractor whose employee could be injured working on your home.
4. When meeting with different home improvement contractors in Maryland, trust your instincts. Is the sales person being honest or telling you what they think you want to hear? Are they listening to your wants and needs? Do they follow through? Are they responsive to your calls and questions? Which one can you work with for several months?
Important Questions to Help You Choose the Right Maryland Home Improvement Contractor for Your Project
Feel free to print this list of questions to ask any Maryland home remodeling company you are speaking with.
- Is the company licensed, bonded and insured?
- How much experience does the company have with your type of project?
- Is the owner personally involved in managing your project?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Does the company have full-time employees who have been with the company for some time?
- How much of the work will be subcontracted and who will manage those subcontractors?
- Does the company offer design services?
- Can they help you with financing for your project?
- Will they protect you and your family from lead in your home?
- How will your property be protected during construction?
- Will the job site be cleaned daily?
- Does the contract include everything (permits, labor costs, materials, etc.)?
- Does the company specify quality products or use cheap substitutes?
- Does the company write a schedule to finish your project on time?
- Does the company have a thorough warranty?
- Has the company ever gone out of business, not completed a project or been sued by a client?
- Is the company financially stable enough to complete your project without relying on payments from their next job?
- What percent of the company’s revenue comes from extra charge change orders?
- Is the revenue from change orders over 5% or do they say they don’t know how much it is?
- Does the company have extensive references from more than three satisfied customers? What do the references say?
- Is the company a member of an association that requires adherence to a code of ethics such as the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI)?
- Are the lead carpenters certified? Will they be on your project every day or will you have to manage the project?
- How many awards has the company won?
If these issues are important to you, Tabor Design Build is your best choice. Please contact our office at 301.417.6570!